Friday 1 January 2016

Gaming Resolutions 2016

As a new year begins, I'm lead to reflect on what I have achieved over 2015 and, in truth, it's not very much.


 I've had a busy year with a new son and passing my teaching qualification, and that has meant that my hobby time has (rightly) been squeezed. But as we enter into 2016, I wanted to refocus a little and try and approach it a little more methodically. One might even say 'more scientific' - if one didn't really know what 'scientific' meant.

When left to my own devices, I'm hopelessly disorganised and find that I quickly bog myself down in pointless tasks - usually tidying my desk - which means I never get round to finishing any hobby projects. And my desk doesn't even look tidier. So, to help me escape the paralysis, paint up those minis, build that terrain and lose those games I play with greater frequency, I've decided to set myself some SMART targets (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant and Time-bound).

The Basics

These goals are the meat and veg of the hobby; without them, I'm not going to get much done at all.
  • Attend Phat Cats club and play a game an average of twice a month
  • Paint 50 currently owned miniatures, plus at least half of those purchased this year

The Specifics

These are the goals that are for things that interest me at the moment, and are likely to continue to do so over the course of the year.
  • Build a 4' x 6' GorkaMorka table
  • Build a 2' x 2' Frostgrave table
  • Build a 4' x 4' Old West table
[note - I would have included a goal about setting aside money for a wirelessly powered gaming table, but the guys that make them need to pull their finger out and let us know some of the details.]

Out of the Comfort Zone

These goals are going to push me to be a better hobbyist.
  • Enter the club's monthly painting comp at least 6 times
  • Go to Salute 2016 and at least one other event (not including Colours)
  • Sell some miniatures or terrain

Quarterly Goals

No one can predict the future and it's highly probable that things will appear over the course of the year that will pique my interest. I'll leave space to add in at least one goal every quarter.

  • Q1 Jan-Mar Construct a GorkMorka mob and take part in the club campaign
  • Q2 Apr-Jun Not yet set
  • Q3 Jul-Sep Not yet set
  • Q4 Oct-Nov Not yet set

Hopefully, we'll come back to this in December and check out just how well I did... or didn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment